5 Ways to Make Your New Year’s Fitness Plan Stick
The holiday season is in full swing and we bet you’re feeling a little fuller than normal from all the amazing holiday party treats and dinners. As the year winds down, many of us are beginning to think about our plan for the New Year and getting back into a workout routine that is actually attainable. Believe it or not, even the most serious athletes have occasionally “fallen off the wagon,” and it’s just part of life. Late nights at work, busy weekend schedules with family activities or even just lack of motivation. At Advanced Fitness and Wellness, we have heard all the reasons someone hasn’t “stuck” with a fitness routine, but we’re here to tell you 5 ways to make your New Year’s fitness plan stick and meet your fitness goals.
Find a workout buddy
- Working out alone is no fun. According to Adidas, 40% of those who begin a workout regimen will stop when working out alone. Training together helps keep you motivated and helps you push each other to meet your fitness goals. It also makes working out…FUN! Yes, working out can be fun, especially if you’re doing it with a friend. Between the two of you, plan days that best work with your schedule and make a date out of it. Turn it into something to look forward to each week and maybe even try something new, like spin or barre classes. Who knows, maybe you’ll even make a friend or two in class! Our instructors are super cool. Don’t just take our word for it. Try it!
- Just because you’re starting a new fitness routine, doesn’t mean to need to squat 400lbs the first time. Small strides to a healthier lifestyle help make your new plan much less daunting and much more realistic. If you’re not ready to commit to a gym membership, start by doing at-home workouts for 15-30 minutes per day. Studies have shown that even 15 minutes of exercise daily is enough to not only lose weight, but help improve your overall health and wellbeing. So, that little voice in your head telling you, “I don’t have time” is totally wrong.
Join a challenge
- 30 day fitness plans, 5k races and even obstacle courses are a great way to set a goal and reach it. Whether you’re a beginner or someone who has been around the fitness block before, there is an endless amount of programs available at your fingertips. Fitness apps like Couch to 5k or 30 Day Fitness Challenge Pro take you right from the very beginning and start you off on the right foot. The hardest part is starting, but the end result is always worth the work.
- The cliche, “you can’t outwork a bad diet” is unfortunately true. To help you meet your fitness goals, set one day per week dedicated to making your healthy food for the week. Most importantly, don’t deprive yourself! You’re working hard, but you shouldn’t feel tortured. Allow yourself one cheat meal or cheat night per week, but that doesn’t mean eat fast food for breakfast, lunch and dinner and drink an entire bottle of wine. Just remember, sticking to your plan is most important and if you feel punished, you’ll likely revert back to your old ways. If you’re looking for a personal nutrition plan, contact us today for more information.
Remember why you started
- Think about why you started in the first place. Take a before picture and document your progress. As you begin to see results, you’ll never look back!
We know starting a new fitness plan may seem scary, but we promise you it isn’t. If you’re located in the Northern New Jersey area, stop by and check out our personal training and wellness facility in Riverdale, NJ. We have state of the art equipment, awesome group classes for spin, barre and boxing, personal training and more! We’re here to help you meet your goals and live your healthiest life!
For more information, please visit advancedfitnessandwellness.com
Click here to sign up for a tour of our facility today!